Is there a bus stop near by?
My brain cells were at their usual high in trying to find a way to cover up my so created illusion, about my ‘talent’, in the minds of my peers.And my relatively more intelligent inorganic cell started ringing. I could hardly say hello to him and he started praising my memory! It was his marriage anniversary and I was at the receiving end for my grave mistake. I was so deep into my things and had completely forgotten to wish him. My reputation for forgetting those sweet memories, of a few, who are so close to my heart, was once again intact !! I must say I am the luckiest and the most blessed on the Earth to have such lovely friends who time and again have forgiven me. Forever my struggle to fight my memory continues…..a fighter I am and a fighter shall be. ( In a way I think this noble quality is what always keeps me remain a fighter…..!!:-) ).
The plan was set. ‘Gandhi Bazaar’ was considered the rendezvous. The place occupies a special corner in my heart, always pulling me back to those golden days of my hostel life. Its an amazing personification of the Indian middle class- always fits well into our ‘budget’, those florists spreading the either side of the entire stretch with their flowers of versatile colours and fragrances and I just love the aroma coming out of them. One has to really be there to feel the atmosphere.
Our gang was known for time discipline. We always strongly believe that it’s only ‘the time’ that lacks discipline and otherwise we are such a bunch of disciplined models!! The so planned 6.30 pm was reaching 7.30pm and only two idiots (for being on time! It was their turn to get punished for not being disciplined!!), by mistake, had managed to be there !!
Others were busy in picking up the rest of the gang on their way to reach the place. Finally, not withstanding the frustration, God decided to unite me and my wife with two other couples (one the First Couple of my gang, and the other the latest and newly wed….!! Isn’t that so special ???) and the hunt for some surprise goodies to the anniversary couple began….we had tough time choosing the flower bouquets…..and then came choosing the card….this is something very tricky…or else we end up at the very first pick or else the selection just goes on till we find the nearest match to our feelings….and finally once that happened our First Couple’s junior was ready with his wish list….his father had a tough time overcoming his son’s smartness !!! ( I wonder if he still has any part of his brain left, after all this haggling and convincing talent, to put into his office work !!).
And then came the twist….the venue for the dinner got shifted to ‘Pai Viceroy’ restaurant near Ragigudda Temple, one more awesome temple in Bangalore. To see the Ganesha in its true glory during Ganesha Chaturthi, Ragigudda is just the place especially on an evening on the day of ‘visarjane’ ( the ritual of immersing the Lord Ganesha’s idol into a pond or a lake) and this temple has special arrangements made for the public. To see the huge gathering, each one holding the idol, ringing the bell, chanting the mantras, walking along the road to reach the temple in that moonlight is less say the better.
Sudden change in the venue is not something new to our gang…..and all got informed to be there as early as possible.
All of us somehow managed to be there, occupying the table before the anniversary couple could arrive. Each one of us were busy for a while, scribing on the card, our love and wishes to the couple and then a round of inspection of those writings by the whole gang. And according to our plans, as the couple made the entry the scene of all of us getting up and clapping was something very much unexpected for the rest of the people inside the restaurant…..!! As the couple occupied their seats they were greeted and wished with those beautiful rose flower bouquets and the card. My friend was so happy and equally surprised…..he never expected such a treatment from us ( must take him to task for being so cheap on us !!! After all we expected a grand treat from him..!! And luckily he met our expectations!!Even otherwise we are proven experts in making the hosts meet them….!!).
The celebrations began with the round of appetizers….spring rolls, hara kababs, gobi manchuris, experimental soups and then tandoori delicacies and spicy curries, desserts and mocktails and cocktails……..there was stiff competition among us in making sure that each one misses out something but so ambidextrous are all that one hardly managed getting a winning smile one his face……!!! (Afterall there was always peer pressure in our upbringing !! ).
It was around 11 pm and the day had been quite an extended one considering going back to our dens.
So, the final greetings of the day started getting exchanged amongst us and as I was about to unlock my little pony an aged person started approaching me. As said he was around 55 to 60 years, looked worried. His attire was just enough to think that he hardly had money to get into a rickshaw even in those night hours. With a heavy face that was trying hard to cover his worries and with a deep worried throat, he asked me “sir, is there a bus stop near by ? ” I directed him to the nearby bus stop. It was not a small distance though, to think of walking, and the fact that he already looked exhausted. “Sir, is it very far ? Even if I don’t get a bus to Banashankari, will I be able to catch one that could take me to Majestic? Sir I don’t mind walking to the bus stop no matter the distance….I badly need to catch a bus” . The despair on his face was all visible. Around 60 yrs old, not able to afford a rickshaw, it was quite evident for me that he was so eager to reach his people who might have been equally worrying and eagerly looking forward for his arrival.
His emotions overtaking him was clearly visible. I was dumbstruck. I don’t remember the next few sentences I spoke to him but my state deep inside was very disturbing….just managed to hide it. 11pm and I knew only luck or Divine’s Grace could help him catch a bus. I was helpless…..watching him hurrying towards bus stop.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home